Need to de-stress? Look no further than a therapeutic massage at Dutch Hollow Medical Day Spa in Godfrey, Illinois. Read on to discover how therapeutic massage can improve your mental and physical well-being.
How therapeutic massage benefits your mind and body
Science backs up the benefits of massage. Here are five key ways how:
Massage can decrease cortisol, a stress hormone responsible for anxiety, depression, and weight gain. A study published in the International Journal of Neuroscience found that massage therapy reduced cortisol levels and increased serotonin and dopamine levels, which are associated with mood regulation and relaxation.
Massage can help alleviate chronic pain and reduce inflammation by improving blood circulation and releasing the feel-good hormone known as endorphins.
By reducing stress and promoting relaxation, massage can improve the quality of your sleep. Specifically, research has shown massage therapy benefits those with insomnia related to menopause and congestive heart failure.
Regular massage can help improve your range of motion, muscle tone, and flexibility. It’s why so many elite and professional athletes regularly use massage therapy.
Boosts immune system
Massage can increase the production of white blood cells, which helps fight off infection and disease.
How to get the most out of your therapeutic massage
Follow these tips to maximize the benefits of your massage:
- Communicate: Let your therapist know what areas you want to focus on.
- Hydrate: Drink plenty of water before and after your massage to help flush out toxins and reduce soreness.
- Relax: Try to clear your mind and relax during your massage to help your body fully benefit from the therapy.
- Follow-up: Consider scheduling regular massages to continue enjoying therapeutic benefits long-term.
More good vibes
We have a full menu of massage options at Dutch Hollow Medical Day Spa. Along with our therapeutic massage, we offer the following:
- Reflexology: Involves manipulating specific pressure points in your hands and feet that correspond to glands, organs, and other body parts.
- Stone massage: This entails the placement of hot stones on different points of the body.
- Prenatal massage: Designed to relieve aching muscles associated with pregnancy.
- Couples massage: Double the pleasure with a couples massage in the exclusive couple's room.
- Chair massage: An ideal quick pick-me-up in 15- or 30 minutes.
Give yourself — or a friend — the gift of massage. To book an appointment at Dutch Hollow Medical Day Spa, call the office at 618-227-7167 or reach out online.
*Individual results may vary